Tuesday, August 2, 2011

why the problem with pain meds Italy?????

I don't really know where to start. After my c-section at the local Italian hospital, San Bortolo, I was weary to say the least about having any medical/dental work done while in this country. However, after my visit to the post dental clinic I realized I needed to get some things taken care of before they get worse. Unfortunetly they do not have enough appointment spaces to see spouses at the clinic on post. I delayed making an initial appointment with an Italian dentist because I just was not sure how it would go. After getting a reccomendation from the post clinic and another spouse having a successful time there, I went ahead and made my appointment.
The initial checkup was weird, but fine. They confirmed the same cavities that had been identified a few weeks prior and we set up my first appointment to come back and have a cleaning done as well as get started with the first cavity/filling.
So, today was the day. I told Randy how nervous I was that after I got the shot in my mouth that I wouldn't be able to explain to them that it wasn't enough or whatnot (the shot itself is not big deal to me, hell I have 18 holes in my ear, have had my tongue pierced and have 3 tattoos).
Randy dropped me off at the street (small dead end) and left and I walked there but the gate was still shut since they were not back from their lunch break. I was finaly let inside and taken immediatly back to the room and laid back. There was only the dentist, 1 assistant, and myself there at this time. The assistant started getting things ready and I asked, to confirm, if we were doing one filling and a cleaning. She said yes. She put the green rubber thing across my mouth (which hurt so bad in itself when she tightened whatever metal it was holding it on...) then the dentist sat down behind my head, grabbed some tools (i'm not a dentist and I wont pretend to know what this stuff is called ) and started picking away at my tooth.
I tried to wave at them and mutter something (as much as possible with my mouth wide open,that thing over it, and his hands there) to ask if they were just looking at my tooth before giving my the shot. Well, they could have cared less that I was trying to get their attention. I continued to say "stop" and "get this off please" (haha, yes I was still polite as I was starting to freak out!). The dentist however continued to pick at my tooth and then .... holy shit. Seriously he picked up whatever tool/drill whatnot and started away at my tooth.
I can't even begin to explain the excrutiating pain that I was feeling as well as all the crazy thoughts that were going through my head.
Have you ever watched the horror movie 'The Dentist' ?? I have, several times. All I kept thinking in my head was that I somehow ended up in this movie.  Click here to see the trailer (which is no where nar as bad as the rest of the movie) of the 1996 film The Dentist
As I continued to get worked on and continued to wave my hands for them to stop, they just continued. Seriously now, I am not making this up. All the assistant kept saying was ''just breath, just breath", and her and the dentist spoke several times back and forth in Italian (damn me for not learning more Italian).  I kept my eyes clenched shut so I really had no idea what was going on at any time other than what I felt and neither of them felt the need at anytime let me know what was going on. In the midst of all this tears were streaming down my face and the assistant continuously used the suction thing in the corner of my eye to dry them (which I also waved off but do think she cared??), and once the tears ran down into my ears she even sucked them dry. I know. I know. This sounds absurd. But the stupidity does not even stop there.
Once there were done and they made the chair sit back up and took the thing off my mouth, I blurted out "your crazy! I am done!" Oh my, the dentist obviously didn't understand what I meant and said "yes your filling is done, don't bite down, we will do the cleaning next, go ahead and rinse."
I moved my legs to floor and said "no, I don't want the cleaning, I am done. That hurt so bad." The two started to converse again in Italian and the dentist said, "I do not believe that that hurt. I use this same procedure with babies and they are fine. Using a shot would have been ridiculi (he meant ridiculas). That could not have hurt." My reaction was a stunned face, "You are crazy, I know what hurts and that was awful, I am done." I was seriously an emotional /nervous wreck at this point. And again, I am not making this up!
I got up and started over to get my purse to leave, the dentist left the room shaking his head saying something in Italian and the assistant actually said to me, "okay I will make you next appointment and we do cleaning then." I looked at her bewildered, chuckled and said "you are also crazy, i am not coming back." She said "Okay, you call for appointment."
I left.
Are you in shock right now??? I am still in shock and pain of course! I can't believe that that happened and I can't believe that I didn't do something else like get up and just force myself out of there with the crap on my mouth and all.  I don't know...

No comments:

Post a Comment